Sunday, March 31, 2013

Beyond Badass - The 30 Day Challenge


Yesterday was a great day. The sun was shining, the first hints of Spring were in the air and I got my spark back. I found it at the Badass Dash, a 7K obstacle race held at Stone Mountain Park. Maybe it was the beautiful weather. Maybe it was the fun obstacles. Maybe I was just ready.

The course and obstacles for the Badass Dash were posted online, so we had a chance to check them out ahead of time. This race looked fun, more like the Warrior Dash or the Down and Dirty. I was not nervous at all, just looking forward to spending a day outside in the woods. There was no mud pit at this one, which was nice. I love mud as much as the next gal, but it was good to finish a race and have an easy cleanup afterwards. No freezing hose torture here. And no burpees if I couldn’t complete an obstacle.

In the Badass Dash, I finally felt the exhilaration that had eluded me during the Spartan Race a few weeks ago. I was climbing over stacks of pallets, dashing over picnic tables, crawling under nets and walls and running free in the woods. For the first time ever, I tackled the super-high wall.  I climbed up and over a 10-12 foot wall without hesitation. When I got to the top, I looked down and got dizzy for a second, then I took a deep breath, swung my leg over and made my way back down.

I faced another high obstacle with a rope net, this time it was climbing up and over a semi trailer. I didn’t think twice about doing it. I was confident and fearless as I approached the net. I could even look down as I made my way to the top. I was feeling so great that I  managed some flirty banter with the cougar bait who was assisting at the top of the obstacle.

The sense of accomplishment was back. I ran more and walked less than any other race, I was able to climb over high things without being sick with fear and I completed every obstacle on the course. Some of them were challenging, but I did them.

We finished in 1:29, not too bad. This was my sixth obstacle race. I have never been too concerned about my finishing time. It was fun to compare the times from one race to another and see how I was progressing, but I am not really a competitive person and I usually felt great about my performance if I completed the course. I guess at this point I do not really consider myself an athlete, just a middle aged chick with an unusual hobby.
 

This time was different. I felt a twinge of something that I suspect might be a little competitive streak creeping into my psyche. I was happy that I was making such good progress. I was running more, my race times were improving and I was completing every obstacle on the course. But deep down, I knew I could do better. I could push myself harder.

I had made great strides over the past year, but I had to admit to myself that my approach to health and fitness was still often half-assed and inconsistent. I have good weeks and bad weeks. Sometimes working out is a priority. Sometimes other obligations are. Some weeks my diet is perfect. Other times it isn’t.  I still lack discipline. I always have, but it never really bothered me until now. Doing these races and pushing myself out of my comfort zone has made me aware that I can do better. I can be better. I am no longer satisfied with the mediocrity which I have accepted until now. From now on, it will not be enough to just cross the finish line.

In fact, it will not be enough to just work out once in a while, to just run a couple times a week, to just eat right when it is convenient, to just make health and fitness a priority when I am not  focused on work stuff, house stuff or kid stuff.  

Sure, I have made some progress. I am getting in shape. I have lost some weight. That should be good enough. Nope. Good enough is not good enough anymore. Something in me changed on that course. After that race, I was ready to set the bar higher for myself. I just needed a plan.

I decided to give myself a 30 day challenge. To be the best I could be, to do the best I could do when it came to my health. No more slacking off. For one month I will make diet and exercise my number one priority. I will clean up my diet and be 100% paleo. No grains. No sugar. No dairy. Just fruits and veggies, meat, eggs and nuts. And protein smoothies.  Not just most of the time – all of the time. For one month.

I will challenge myself to get some form of exercise six days a week. At least two days a week will include strength training, either lifting weights at the gym or doing squats and pushups at home. Three days a week will be for cardio – running, using the rowing machine at the gym or hiking up mountains in my area. Now that the weather is warming up, there is no reason why I can’t take advantage of the beautiful parks and hiking trails around me. After all, that is one of the main reasons I moved to the mountains. Spending more time in nature will be good for the body and soul.

April is the perfect time to embark upon a challenge like this. After all, Spring is the time for renewal. I am determined to have a new focus, to embrace the strength and peace of mind that comes with discipline and to continue the sense of accomplishment I felt after the Badass Dash. Sure, I still have a hectic life and many other obligations. But I can make excuses or I can make changes.

I am not looking at this month as a time of punishment and deprivation. That is how I have always viewed diets in the past.  That is why I have always failed in my previous attempts to lose weight.  I know that I will be giving my body what it needs to function optimally. I know that I will feel better, have more energy and release the sense of guilt that hangs over me when I am not doing as well as I could. I want to see how much progress I can make in 30 days – on the scales and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment