Friday, March 8, 2013

A Girl Never Forgets Her First Time


It was awkward, it was painful and I couldn’t walk for three days afterwards.
Yep, that pretty much sums up my first Spartan Race, The Georgia Spartan Sprint 2012. As obstacle races go, this one is the toughest I’ve done yet. I probably should have done some research and eased into it with one of the less challenging races, but my approach to life is more along the lines of  ‘dive in head first and see what happens’. So, since the Spartan Race was the first one on the calendar in my area, that’s the one I did first.
To say the odds were against me would be an understatement. I had only been seriously working out for a couple of months, I could barely run for ten minutes straight on the treadmill and I had no upper body strength at all. On top of that, the week before the race, I was doing a trail run and tripped over a stump, landing in gravel and successfully removing most of the skin on my right knee. Yeow. Once I was certain that it was merely a flesh wound and my kneecap was more or less intact and functioning properly, I decided to suck it up, wrap it up and carry on.
I was fortunate to have found another brave soul, my friend (and now blog co-author) Kris, who was as willing to jump into this craziness as I was. Running with a friend was great, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is new to this.
Springtime weather in Georgia is unpredictable to say the least. It can be 38 with freezing rain or 70 and sunny. We really lucked out for race day and got the warm and sunny. Traffic was insane and we had to park about a mile away and walk, so we had a nice warmup on our way into the venue. The air was thick with that special electricity that comes from anticipation and fear. As we got closer to the race site, we could hear the crowds cheering and see the mud-covered finishers milling about. My stomach was in knots.
 
Since traffic and parking had taken much longer than expected, we were rushing a bit to get checked in and ready by our 1:30 start time. We skipped the line for a timing chip. At that point, we weren’t concerned with our finishing time. Our goal for the day was simple: Don’t Die. I really just wanted to cross the finish line, preferably with all limbs intact.
It was interesting to see the different types of people who were doing the race that day. There were the Crossfit fanatics with the awesome bodies. They were inspiring and I wanted to be like them. There were also a lot of people who were older, overweight and obviously out of shape. They were also inspiring. I thought “If they can do this, so can I.” Then there were the super-fit moms in their little sports bras and short shorts, with their sculpted biceps, washboard abs and tight squat-butts. I hated those bitches. OK, OK, I didn’t really hate them. I hated myself for getting to the point where I looked and felt the way I did and they just reminded me of the path not taken.
When I got into the starting line, my chest was pounding, my legs turned to  jelly and I didn’t know if I wanted to throw up or pass out. Instead, the cannons boomed and I started running. We ran across a big open field, then had to crawl under a fence. Bang – sore knee hit the ground and  pain shot through my body. I hadn’t quite grown any skin back on it yet, but was counting on a waterproof bandage and elastic knee wrap to get me through the day.
The first obstacle was climbing over some barricades – easy. I was feeling good at this point, thinking ‘Yeah, I can do this’. Then came a long walk through a muddy creek. That was pretty much my favorite activity as a kid, so I enjoyed that part. Next was a set of walls to climb over. I think they were about four feet high, so not too bad. We were fairly confident about our chances of surviving the day.
Then came the net tunnel. There was no way around it, it was hands and knees all the way. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. The sore knee was screaming after being slammed into the hard ground a few dozen times, but I told it to shut the f*%# up and kept on going.
I almost had a panic attack when the next obstacle came into view. It was two shipping containers stacked on top of each other with a big rope net to climb up and over. No safety pads, no hay bales, nothing to break a fall. And, oh yeah, I am terrified of heights. As the blood turned to ice in my veins, I stopped for a moment to decide whether I wanted to face my fear or do 30 Burpees. Bravery (or stupidity) won out and I grabbed the rope. I took it one rung at a time, making sure that one hand had a firm grip at all times. Deep Breaths. Don’t look down. One more. Just keep going. I made it all the way up and finally felt the reassuring steel edge of the shipping container. I pulled myself onto the top to gather my wits while I had a solid surface beneath me. I felt triumphant, like I had just slain a dragon. Then I realized that I would have to swing around and do the same thing backwards and I almost peed my pants. But there was no turning back. I was shaking and terrified, but I did it. I backed that thing up, slowly lowered my legs until I felt the rope underneath and carefully released my death grip on the ropes above me. Back down. One rung at a time. Deep Breaths. Don’t look down. Then – solid ground. Yes! I did it!
Next were the higher walls. Luckily, Kris and I could work together for this one. There had been speculation about the Large Hadron Collider tearing apart the fabric of the universe, but that is nothing compared to two hefty chicks attempting this obstacle. If we didn’t break the laws of physics in hoisting our ample bootys  up and over a five foot wall, we surely stretched them as far as the elastic waist on our workout pants. Our plan was simple – one of us would kneel in front of the wall and the other one would use the outstretched leg as a step. We would step up, grab the top of the wall, swing one leg up and over, while praying that gravity would do its job and the ass and the other leg would follow. Somehow it worked.
Then came the baptism that would forever mark us as mudders – a 400-foot slimy pit full of Georgia’s finest red mud. Squishy, watery muck as far as the eye could see. And a nice net of barbed wire about 18 inches above the surface. I started with the army crawl. Belly to the ground, knees and elbows pushing me forward. Inch by muddy inch. Some guys around me were rolling through the mud. I tried it for a minute, but it made me dizzy and brought me a lot closer to entanglement in the barbed wire, so I went back to my belly. For once in my life, I was  thankful that I am flat-chested. I had finally found the one area in life where having no boobs was an advantage. As the more well-endowed gals struggled to keep their heads out of the barbed wire, I easily made my way to the end. I stayed well below the danger zone and emerged without a scratch.
The next challenge was a spear toss. Or more accurately, a broom handle with a nail sticking out of one end that we had to hurl at a target on a mound of hay bales. One try only. 30 Burpees for me.
30 Burpees is the Spartan Race penalty for failing to complete an obstacle. Burpees are basically a combination of a pushup and a squat-thrust thingy, sometimes with a little jump at the end. If you want to see the proper form, just google ‘how to do a burpee’. I think they were mentioned by Dante as one of the inner circles of hell, most likely the punishment for fat housewives who had let themselves go.
On to the slippery wall. We waded through a mud puddle, then had to pull ourselves up a slanted wall using a rope. I made it to the top then slipped backwards. With great effort, I made it to the top again and just as I was reaching up to pull myself over the wall, my feet slipped out from under me, my body slammed into the wall and I almost lost my grip on the rope. Then, my guardian angel appeared – in the form of a hunky guy who grabbed my arm and pulled me up. Thank you, whoever you are. I don’t think I could have made it up a third time.
For the next obstacle, we had to flip some tires. Piece of cake. Then a bucket full of concrete on a rope that we had to raise up about 15-20 feet and lower slowly back to the ground. No problem. I just used my big badonkadonk for leverage – bucket went up, bucket came down.  Then more walls. Then we had to drag a huge and heavy concrete block on a chain. It was impossible to find a comfortable position. If I put the chain over my shoulder it would dig into my skin. It wasn’t long enough to wrap around my waist. I finally had to walk backwards, pulling it along the best I could, like dragging a screaming toddler out of a public place during a trantrum. It was a battle to get that thing from point A to point B. For me, that was by far the most challenging obstacle. But I did it.
More walls, then Monkey Bars, which for me meant 30 more Burpees. Then the sandbags. We had to carry a sandbag up and down a big hill. I grabbed the sandbag, hoisted it onto my shoulders and started walking. I don’t know the exact weight, but it was heavy and I had to dig deep to keep myself moving up that hill. I saw other racers crapping out, dropping the bags to the ground and turning around to do the Burpees instead. I was determined that that wasn’t going to be me. One foot in front of the other. One step at a time. Focus. Almost there. Just keep going. At some point, a random song lyric popped into my mind, so I just went into the zone, using that as a mantra. I repeated the lines over and over in my head, kept my eyes on the ground in front of me and before I knew it, I was done. The feeling of accomplishment when I put that sandbag down was nothing short of euphoric.
The swamp was next. Wading through frigid, waist-deep muddy water wasn’t difficult, but I was glad that we were doing the course in the afternoon. It was warmer, and there had been hundreds of people ahead of us to scare off  the water moccasins. As I made my way through the murky water, I thought about the open wound on my knee and hoped that I wasn’t contracting the flesh-eating bacteria at that very moment.
At the super high walls, I decided that I had already conquered my fear of heights, so I had nothing else to prove. I took the 30 Burpees and moved on. Same thing with the rope climb. Another 30 Burpees. At the vertical wall, I acknowledged that there was no way on earth I was going to make it across a wall sideways on little pegs that were 1-2 inches thick at most. Between my size 10 feet , my jelly belly and my lack of upper body strength, it just wasn’t happening. I tried anyway, slipped off after two steps and did 30 more Burpees.
We were in the home stretch now. We had to climb up and through more shipping containers (Been there, done that, nothing to it) and the finish line was in sight. The only thing that stood in our way was a group of burly guys with big padded sticks. I was ready. Bring it on, boys. I gathered what little energy I had left and charged full speed ahead. Alas, they were gentlemen, and we made it through with barely a tap. Victory at last.


Crossing the finish line was amazing. When the finisher’s medal was draped around my neck, I felt like I had won a gold medal. I had done it. I didn’t die.  I was a Spartan Racer. Yes, me. It had taken about 2 and a half hours, but we finished.
 
 
The beer afterwards was the best beer ever. Adrenaline and elation must do something for the taste buds.
The clean up station was the most brutal experience of the day. Rows of garden hoses were available for washing off the mud, blood and whatever else you picked up along the way. That water was cold. Much colder than the swamp. I’m talking cut-through-glass-with-your-nipples cold. But, mud in your unmentionables is an even worse feeling, so cold water it was. At least enough to get the big clumps out. When I peeled the muddy wrap off of my knee, it looked like raw hamburger meat. But, thankfully, no flesh-eating bacteria.

 
The mile-long hike back to the car was painful. The sun was going down and I was chilled to the bone from the frigid hose water. My feet hurt and now that the adrenaline rush was wearing off, I was becoming aware of just how battered my body was.
A real shower ( possibly the best shower of my life ) washed away the rest of the grime and revealed the multitude of scrapes and bruises that I had acquired. To me, they were a source of pride. I had reached far outside of my comfort zone and had succeeded. I had the battle scars to prove it. Not just succeeded, I had totally kicked ass. I walked into it a frumpy middle aged mom and walked out a Spartan. A warrior. I carried a heavy sandbag up and down a big hill. I did something tough and scary and intimidating and didn’t give up. I faced my fears. I defeated my weaknesses.  I kept going, even when it hurt. I learned what I was made of and what I could do if I put my mind to it. After this, nothing was going to get me down. I mean, I did a Spartan Race – what could be worse than that?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment